If you meant to say that our conception of programming (as opposed to
understanding of programming).  Along the same lines, I just ran across this:

http://www.erights.org/elib/capability/ode/overview.html

"Just as the digital logic gate abstraction allows digital circuit designers to
create large analog circuits without doing analog circuit design, we present
cryptographic capabilities as an abstraction allowing a similar economy of engineering
effort in creating smart contracts."

I can't help but wonder about our conceptual need for "digital" abstractions.  It seems
similar to the transition across sequential thinking vs parallel thinking, across procedural vs
functional ... or classical vs quantum ... reals vs hyperreals ... proof vs types, etc.  I'm
reminded of Steve Smith's reported explanation for the fire-knock-out physics of "Dies the
Fire".  If I remember right, the idea was that the solar system had been somehow transported
to another region of the universe, where the laws of physics were different.  Does the Mormon god
(over there on Kolob) find Haskell or Prolog more intuitively natural?  Or what about the
programmers prior to the last Big Crunch?  Were they burdened by discretization problems?