``I can't help but wonder about our conceptual need for "digital"
abstractions.''

For example, quantum calculations can be performed on digital computer, or by
an artificial system made up of superconducting Josephson junctions, or
observed in crystal structures.    There are tradeoffs between precision,
realism, and scale to make.  I think large scale computational science will
increasingly depend on observing phenomena (e.g. natural or constructed atomic
systems) in controlled settings and less on digital computers.   Just because
the Avogadro scales involved won't be possible even with gigawatt scale digital
computers.

Marcus