OK.  But you did express that you thought the distinction (between paper math
and computation) isn't meaningful (at least not in perpetuity).  Yet you admit
that (in perpetuity) we should preserve the distinction at least for the sake
of efficiency/performance.  You have to admit that can seem paradoxical.

Re: _technical_ papers being literate computer programs ... I agree.  But a
recurring theme in this forum is the poor job journalists do communicating
scientific efforts.  Analogously, we can predict that when/if all technical
papers are literate programs, we'll have a similar problem.  This same
conversation will continue to occur when the Nicks of the world ask the
you-folks of the world what some program means.  So the distinction will
persist as long as there are general intelligences (Nicks) attempting to parse
domain-specific artifacts.

The solution you imply (a plethora of easily instantiable models on universal
computers) is a good one, I think.  That way the generally intelligent,
specifically ignorant can at least understand special-purpose devices through
analogical reasoning.  But you could have said that outright without the above
paradox! 8^)