Of course.  But knowing/deciding how much to cite and how much to place in
context is also part of the problem.  Because everyone has a unique
interpretation of words (and a unique graph of concepts), it can be difficult
to know how much must be spelt out and how much one can rely on common
understandings.  A complicating factor has to do with the ability to estimate
your audience's diligence, energy, and interest in looking things up and/or
thinking things through.  And another complicating factor involves the semantic
density of the words/phrases/expressions.  If you use obscure but standard
words, you assume the audience knows the dictionary.  If you use jargon, you
assume the audience is already familiar with the domain lexicon or is willing
to learn it in order to listen to you.

All the above argues against compressed/thin descriptions and for fuller/thick
descriptions.