Gillian asked: "Why not just work towards StarFleet and a large club of
some sort? ... China might be really good at making underpants, but no clue
how to make t-shirts, America might make pretty good T-shirts and no clue
how to make Sweaters. Canada (might) have make KFA pants."

Two answers:
1) Generally speaking: When it is a mass production issue there are not
people better or worse at it. I.e., if China is "better" at making IPhones,
it is because of (comparatively) lax labor laws, and a government
uninterested in stopping exploitation* of laborers, not because they are
"really good at it" in any proper sense.  That isn't a race we want to win.

2) Still generally speaking: Also, when it is a mass production issue, in
the long run none of the laborers, in any of the countries, are better
than machines.

Thus, "everyone just do what they are best at" logic only works when there
is some geographic advantage (e.g., having land well-suited to growing
grapes), or a protected skilled-labor advantage in small-batch or one-off
production (e.g., a lineage of sword makers who make customized products
and do not take foreign  apprentices). Without those conditions, you just
have a bunch of semi-random processes determining who happens to make the
best at making items of a particular type at a particular moment (e.g., the
best guy is in China, but the narrowly second best is in the U.S. and the
narrowly third best in Canada), and thus you would never expect any country
to stay the best location for production for very long. Even with small
batch and one-off production, 3-D printing has already made much of that a
"do anywhere" possibility.

* And by "exploitation" I mean things like imprisonment, not a Marxist
notion of "divorcing them from means of production" or something like that.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps
<echar...@american.edu>