From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of glen ?
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2016 9:56 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: [FRIAM] TPP pro and con

https://ustr.gov/tpp/
https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp

In the midst of a wide-ranging discussion with my intensely Christian neighbor
who expects to vote for Trump, he explained his experiences as a missionary in
some of the NAFTA countries where he claims to have seen the bad effect of the
agreement on the poor.  I did my ignorant best to talk about the TPP as an
improvement over deals like NAFTA, despite my being programmed by my clique to
dislike the deals.

I somewhat buy the argument that the TPP gives us leverage in our competition
with China.  And I also buy the arguments that the deal falls way short of
democratic ideals (in both the way it was developed and the policies it would
put in place).  But I'm bouncing between 2 (or more) bodies of rhetoric and I'd
like to know what y'all think, even if, pragmatically, it's doomed because
Congress won't ratify it.

--
☢ glen