From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> on behalf of ?glen?
<geprope...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 10:28:52 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Trump Is Just A Normal Polling Error Behind Clinton |
FiveThirtyEight

Those are all excellent points and I find it difficult to disagree with any of
them.  But I'll try anyway. 8^) ... interleaved below.

On 11/11/2016 05:54 PM, VLADIMYR BURACHYNSKY wrote:
> Knowing that power is an illusion seems to make little difference to those
> that believe Power is the Ultimate Goal.
> Often the illusion requires pure cruelty to be regularly applied as
> confirmation of its existence, followed  then by ardent denial.
> Believing in Power is a type of madness that justifies annihilation of
> non-Believers.
> So should we all become two-faced hypocrites just to Survive the Madness?

Well, yes, except that we need more than 2 faces, perhaps an infinitely
extensible face-field, adaptable to whatever (illusory) power structure we find
available at any given time+place?  I suppose it may not be quite right to call
it "illusory".  If thinking in terms of power provides predictable levers by
which to manipulate people, then it lies somewhere between illusion and
reality.  Do all things that _work_ have to exist ontologically?  Is potential
energy just as real as kinetic energy?

> My father tried to teach that  strategy to his boys as a consequence of his
> incarceration during the war years.
> "Make, nice and live"

Heh, my dad was obviously (at least) 2-faced.  To everyone outside the family,
he was jolly go lucky nice guy to have around, compassionate boss, tough but
fair tax assessor, etc.  To us, he was tyrant and drill sergeant, "this hurts
me more than it does you but it's for your own good" benevolent dictator.  Such
context-dependent power wielding was an inherent part of my upbringing.

> bye the way I do relish reading your pithy notes. I love your subdued  yet
> civilized ferocity.

Thanks.  And you never fail to pry at the interesting fissures!

> I have noted that Control Freaks are generally very loosely attached to
> ethics.
> That lack of ethics is often considered Ruthlessness and so Clever replaces
> Intelligence.
> So what should Canada do about a possible invasion from our  neighbours to
> the south.
> I expect such refugees are going to be problematic...
> Canada is well aware of the constraints imposed by the Americans and our
> independence has been extraordinarily difficult to maintain.

I know everyone will laugh at me for this.  But I tend to think of Canada as
more powerful than the US ... but it's a "soft" style, like judo vs karate.  If
Canada can continue softening and redirecting the US's (and the UK's) more
savant-like actions, it will play a critical role in the formation of the
coming landscape.  We are like children whose stature has outstripped their
parents'.  Yes, we can flatten our parents with a good body-slam or straight up
punches.  But we're no match for even the slightest subtlety.  Studious
manipulation is what we need, especially with our new Clown in Chief.

--
?glen?