Interesting, Steve.  "Populism" has long had a negative meaning for me.
Maybe that's because I took a couple of undergraduate courses that focussed
on Huey Long.  In one of them (at Berkeley) the claim was made that
Roosevelt saved the US from more radical solutions, represented by Long,
with the New Deal.  Ironically, my father's uncle, who was also a Louisiana
politician, was a sometimes enemy of his.  Uncle Shirley Wimberly wrote a
monograph in which he referred to Long as "the Crawfish".  He was usually
called the Kingfish.

Here's the reference:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/unmasking-crawfish-huey-p-long/oclc/9752600

Frank Wimberly