I don't want to distract the conversation, so consider this as an aside:

The "monotheistic right" aka the "religious right" does indeed believe
that all humans are intrinsically evil, but capable of redemption if
they subscribe to and submit to religious authority. This is true of
christianity, islam, and judaism, but least so with the last. (Just to
inflame some readers: mormon theology, as opposed to mormon sunday
school teaching — which is saccharine christianity — is the exception,
teaching the humans are not only innately good, but inevitably good — it
will just take a while for some to realize their potential.)

The secular right — and yes there really is such a thing — believes the
opposite, i.e. that humans are intrinsically good, but subject to
corruption. [perhaps the only good thing, for the republican party, in
trump's ascendancy is the opportunity to take back the party from the
religious right and restore the goldwater / reagan secular right to
influence.)

davew