David -

I think that is a good example... at least for me.

I have struggled with this duality all of my life... having a natural curiosity about other places/things/people and that innate "fear of difference or unknown", I have had an almost morbid fascination with playing up against "the Other". And I admit to avoiding clicques (mostly in High School) and groups (professional and recreational organizations) because while I might distrust or even fear some of the things the groups do, I always felt the "magnification" of those feelings that they offered.

Similar to Marx's (Groucho) idea that "I would belong any club that would admit the likes of me", I felt that I didn't NEED or want to have those feelings reinforced by being amongst others who felt too much like me and I *really* didn't trust the near-codification of some of those feelings that seemed to come with "groupness".

I'm looking forward to Glen's elaboration but I think you hit at least one aspect of it on the head here!

- Steve