Dear Jochen,

Thanks for writing.   Frank is correct, I think, about the general tenor of
FRIAM.  I don’t know about the diaspora, but at the meeting of the “Mother
Church” I thought we had at least one trumper, but it turned out his allegiance
was only per argumentum.

I am pretty frightened.  I think if we all hunker down and if Putin and Trump
don’t obliterate us all in a lover’s spat, we can survive the next four years
without too much damage.  But that’s a big “if”!  What I fear most is that
“unruly elements” will take to violence, and in the ensuing chaos, the
democracy will fall to authoritarianism.  I also fear that nations abroad will
not be able to see the long arc of history here and will abandon us to our
fate, too soon.  So, I guess I am asking that those of you in the friam
diaspora give us what moral support you can and that we all learn to resist in
ways that are effective but will not cause the pendulum to begin swinging even
more wildly.

Thanks again for writing.

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University