I'd be cautious of denying anyone who feels physically unsafe access to
security and  I am suspicious of reverse discrimination claims.   I think
professors should do what they can to support anyone that might feel or be
perceived as vulnerable when they thoughtfully defend minority (either
unpopular or culturally minority) views.   Professors should put the most
effort into scrutinizing the conventional wisdom and even their own curriculum.
 Other than that, the direct appeal to authority figures to manage conflict
doesn't scale.   On campus or at the workplace that leads to the proliferation
of crybabies who don't know how to win, retreat from, or refine arguments.

As far as `social justice' training goes, to paraphrase Mrs. Clinton, I'd say
there are indeed a class of people that are deplorable (or stupid) and won't
(or can't) change how they think.  All you can do is train them to behave a
certain way and punish them if they don't comply.   Sexual harassment training
is in this category.  It's annoying it is necessary, but unfortunately it is
necessary.

I think there's a deeper misunderstanding about the functions of universities.
 Doing research is about falsification, activism through the academy is about
bringing that knowledge to a wider audience beyond campus, and education is
significantly about making students navigate a complex hierarchical social
system so that they can be good little workers.   It is amazing that these
things can coexist at all.

As far as the proliferation of the left at universities, to the extent that's
true, it is just because liberals tend to like novel things (e.g.
multiculturalism) more than stable things and a university is a good fit for
them.

Marcus