From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Russell Standish
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:59 PM
To: 'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group' <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Model of induction

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 02:45:11PM -0700, Nick Thompson wrote:

> Let’s take out all the colorful stuff and try again.  Imagine a thousand
> computers, each generating a list of random numbers.  Now imagine that for
> some small quantity of these computers, the numbers generated are in n a
> normal (Poisson?) distribution with mean mu and standard deviation s.  Now,
> the problem is how to detect these non-random computers and estimate the
> values of mu and s.

Your question comes down to: given a set of statistical distributions (ie
models), which model best fits a given data source. In your case, presumably
you have two models - a uniform distribution and a normal (or Poisson - they're
two different distibutions resulting from additive versus multiplicative
processes respectively) distribution.

The paper to read on this topic is

@Article{Clauset-etal07,
  author =       {Aaron Clauset and Cosma R. Shalizi and Mark E. J. Newman},
  title =        {Power-law Distributions in Empirical Data},
  journal =      {SIAM Review},
  volume = 51,
  pages = {661-703},
  year =         2009,
  note =         {arXiv:0706.1062}
}

Almost everyone doing work in Complex Systems theory with power laws has been
doing it wrong! The way it should be done is to compare a metric called
"likelihood" calculated over the data and a model, for the different models in
question.

I was scheduled to give a talk "Perils of Power Laws" at a local Complex
Systems conference in 2007. Originally, when I proposed the topic, I planned to
synthesise and collect some of my war stories relating to power law problems -
but a couple of months before the conference, someone showed me Clauset's
paper. I was so impressed by it, not only superseding anything I could do on
the timescale, but also I felt was so important for my colleagues to know about
that I took the unprecedented step of presenting someone else's paper at the
conference. With full attribution, of course. I still feel it was the most
important paper in my field of 2007, and one of the most important papers of
this century. Even though it didn't officially get published until 2009 :).

Nick's question is unrelated to the question of how to detect whether a source
is random or not. A non-uniform random source is one that can be transformed
into a uniform random source by a computable transformation, so uniformity is
not really a test of randomness.

Detecting whether a source is random or not is not a computational feasible
task. All one can do is prove that a given source is non-random (by providing
an effective generator of the data), but you can never prove a source is truly
random, except by exhaustive testing of all Turing machines less than the
data's complexity, which suffers from combinatoric computational complexity.

Cheers

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au