"The neo part is because pure liberalism takes the needs and wants of everyone
into account.  We neoliberals regret the collateral damage that is poverty,
death, starvation, epidemic, etc. but we really only measure success by the top
X% of the pyramid.

That's the collateral damage of the republicans.   Neoliberals protect the very
strong and the very weak, avoid existential threats to the collective, while
ignoring those that ought to be able to carry on, even though they feel they
should be entitled to special treatment.

Marcus