Nick -

I know I don't always seem to take your questions seriously, but I generally do.

I DO think the computer industry HAS effectively contributed to a certain kind of isolation. On the other hand, here we are, most of us able to participate in a complex discussion, halfway around the world from one another (or not), many of us unable/unwilling to actually *attend* the Mother Church as it were (FriAM coffee klatch) because of computer technology. But again on the first hand, we sit around in coffee shops ignoring one another while chatting with friends or colleagues 7 time zones away?!

I believe that every form of technological "leverage" follows the metaphor at least far enough to include the "loss of sensitivity" on the strong-end of the lever. Sure, with the right lever, you can heave a 1 ton boulder, but can you gently tweak the last 12 ounces of force to *gently* move it off equilibrium? So I'm not sure HOW to maintain sensitivity in the context of such high leverage. The age of Transportation, Communications, etc. Brought huge societal problems which have either leveled out, or sadly, more likely, normalized.

As for the barfight, I'll let you know... and just fair warning, if you take wagers, put your money on *the other guy*, I might be scrappy, but about all I have going for me any more is mass, the ability to take a beating, and a willingness to gouge eyes when required.

- Steve