> On Jan 29, 2017, at 12:14 AM, Nick Thompson <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> So we’re stuck, right, Pamela?  There’s nothing we can do?  Just sit and take
> it?
>
> Nick

Oh no. Partly it’s self-correcting. Sherry Turkle (Reclaiming Conversation, and
also a new Kindle single interview with Turkle by Paula Span—spend a buck and
read it; it’s really interesting) reports on children who despise their
parents’ absorption in a smartphone, and tell Turkle that they will raise their
own children the way their parents *think* they’re raising their kids, not the
way they actually are. The French government has declared that workers of all
kinds must have private time, when they’re not available by electronic
communication. (That seems to me so French, but hey, whatever works for your
culture.)

Partly it takes some self-discipline. Turkle suggests all kinds of times out
from technology—dinner time, before bed, that sort of thing. Partly it’s empty
emotional calories, and the average person comes away thinking, is that all
there is? And joins a book group of humans.

I’m not in despair.