Nick -

What, for instance, is a cargo cult ideology?  Praying to whatever might cause useful stuff to fall out of the sky?

I tend to think of Cargo Cult thinking as (naively) conflating form with function, of invoking the "form" of something with the hope/assumption that the function will follow.

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

I think I hear in this presentation that it is being used mostly to describe the rhetoric of *some* PoMo followers who might salt their language with erudite sounding terms, hoping the results won't be challenged.  Similar to the way Newage practitioners use "laser", "vibrational energy", "crystal", etc. to try to imply scientific foundations for their ideas.  Or closer to home the way our extended group can be accused of "Complexity Babble" for lacing our explanation of things with words like "emergent" or "chaos" or "attractor" for similar purposes.

I think the key concept is to invoke something you have seen to be effective in one context without understanding it's mechanism and thereby completely missing the mark in your own application.

I was surprised to find that there was a style of computer programming named after this term as well.

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

- Steve

And, what is the relation between PoMo and Existentialism?   I take existentialism to be the doctrine that all meaning in life, if human life has any meaning, is generated or asserted by the humans that live it.

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University

http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/ <http://home.earthlink.net/%7Enickthompson/naturaldesigns/>