OK, Glen, fair enough and stipulated.  I hope you know  how much I value your
perspective.

But ...One of the constant debates in my field (well, perhaps more accurately,
in the field of most of the members of my Department, was between the
"nomothetic" and the "idiographic".    Knowing you as well as I do, I know that
before I get to the end of this sentence you will have looked those terms up
and come to understand them better than I do.  But still, to bolt the argument
to the ground, a bit, let me explain them myself.  It is like the difference
between the graph in a scientific paper of the mean value of the independent
variable and the values of the dependent variable, as interpolated -- that's
nomothetic -- and the picture of three individual subjects which represent the
values of the independent variable -- that's idiographic.  Nomothetic study
seeks to get at the laws that relate one kind of thing to another; the other
seeks to capture the ... dare I say .... essence of a phenomenon through a
single instance.  Physics writing is often said to be nomothetic; history
writing is said to be idiographic.  Psychology is said to be both.  Studies of
rats in mazes are nomothetic in intent; we really DON'T give a damn for the
individual rat.  But clinical case studies are definitely idiographic.  My
field -- ethology -- has often been torn between the two impulses, and the
idiographic gave way in the end to the nomothetic.  To my regret, while I was
on sabbatical in the Maddingley {ethological} Field Station in Cambridge,
England I met a woman, Joan Hall Craggs, who had managed to record and sonogram
all the song types sung by a single male black bird during his 18 year (could
that be right?!) career.  She had binder upon binder of them in her office, all
beautifully preserved, dated, and fieldnoted.  I am afraid, when she died, the
whole lot went in the dumpster.  A nomothetical scientist would argue that such
a record would tell one nothing about "blackbirds";  an idiographic scientist
would claim that without such a record, we would never know what was possible
for a black bird.  (By the way, a "black bird" in England is a very close
relative of our American robin'\; robins, in  England are something else
entirely.)

Now, I have already stipulated that, in a sense my focusing on my individual
case is to some extent narcissistic and, well, stupid.  However, focusing on a
single case is not necessarily either.  And since I know my case best of all,
and since the home church is living it right now, I think keeping the Santa Fe
numbers before us GROUNDS us and helps us, perhaps, not to think of "cases" and
"deaths" in the disembodied way that we do when we are performing as nomothetic
scientists.  Every nomothetic case is an intersection of just a few variables
of interest; every idiographic case is the intersection of an infinity of
variables, any one of which may be of interest to somebody.  Thinking of the
“self-case”, helps to keep that fact in view.

Thanks as always for you insights,

Hope to see you tomorrow.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson