Glen,

Good to see you again in the Zoom meeting.  Talking to people “in person”
really does enhance understanding.  Duh!

You wrote:

I reject both your and Nick's distinctions as artificial. 8^)

But then you wrote:

The objection I have to catastrophizing or intolerance to ambiguity is,
essentially, calling attention to our sticky-modes ... our inability to switch
modes when it would be very useful to switch. I'm not trying to suggest that
"nomothetic" knowledge is better than "idiographic" knowledge, only that we
avoid getting stuck in either one.

Am I allowed to agree with the second without agreeing to the second?  Am I
allowed, in fact to use the success of your second argument as evidence AGAINST
the aritificiality of the distinction?

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

Clark University