You're not quibbling. This is *the* point I was trying to make when talking
about episodic vs. narrative personalities. (And my worry about the "narrating
complexity" project.) Those of us who switch all the time, perhaps
pathologically, scatterbrained, high schizotypes, my not be able to distinguish
one mode from another. It's all a chaotic mess of ghostly voices. Similarly, on
the other end of the spectrum, hyper narrative, canalized, enslaved people may
not *admit* that they're a different person at age 60 than they were at age 20.
So, they may not be able to distinguish modes, either.

While indulging your most neurotic self, checking the #cases, #deaths, daily
... worried about whether or not you should fly back to MA or bunker down in
NM, you should have the ability to switch modes somehow. Maybe meditation, a
good stiff whisky, high dose of psilocybin, a long walk up a mountain, a
re-read of Ulysses, I don't know. It doesn't matter. But mode-switching is
healthy ... in moderation, of course.

My point to Jochen was that clarity surrounding any 1 mode will derive from
athletic mode-hopping.

--
☣ uǝlƃ

. ...
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam