My experience is that the cops have a LOT of preferential enforcement power.
And my black friends seem to agree (inverse experiences). And it's not clear to
me that this selective enforcement stops at the sheriffs and beat cop layer. I
think many places have the leeway to "decriminalize" things like low volume
marijuana possession up to federal attorneys general choosing not to focus on
some categories like RICO or whatever.

As our SCOTUS demonstrates on a regular basis, despite being a country of laws,
the interpretation of such laws is convoluted at best. We may *think* we
fetishize the law, but it's delusional because a law isn't a law until it's
challenged in court. And even then, it's subject to revision later ...
depending on how many beers Brett Kavanaugh had last night.

--
☣ uǝlƃ

. ...
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam