Yes, Richatd Dawkin's memes ("The Selfish Gene") are a nice idea, but they are
not like genes at all. They are like viruses. If we consider the memes that are
generated by "meme generators" and shared in social media, then they can at
best be described in terms of viruses. For example a post that goes viral
etc.The idea of "hidden genes" is different. They are not really new, they are
rather hidden in plain sight because everybody knows them. Nobody has
recognized them for what they are though, as far as I know. Except David Sloan
Wilson ("Darwin's Cathedral") maybe.Think of a typical church service on a
Sunday or synagogue service on a Saturday: a priest in front of a group is
reading an encoded text. The text is decoded and translated in a speech so that
it is understandable for the target audience. If the audience is willing to
believe in the propagated message, the behavior of the group is changed.
Members will behave a bit different if the preacher has been successful. They
support and help each other. They form a group. If we consider that God is the
group itself from a sociological perspective, as Randall Collins ("Sociological
Insight") and the founders of Sociology told us, then it is hard to overlook
that this repeated process of reading the holy scriptures and explaining them
in fact nothing else but a gene expression. The text contains non-coding parts,
just like normal DNA, and parts which encode "recipes" to control the behavior
of the group. We know them for instance as the basic commandments. The 10
commandments we all know so well are in fact the 10 basic genes. They create a
collective organism, a life-form which is bigger than any individual member.
These life-forms are long-lived as plants, but agile as animals. In this sense
they are different from biological organisms. But they can get cancer, just
like biological organisms. We know it as the various *-isms: fascism,
communism, nazism, totalitarianism, etc. I consider fascism as the most general
form and nazism as the worst and most aggressive form. If we really want to
understand how fascism works, we have to understand religion first, IMHO.-J.
-------- Original message --------From: Steven A Smith <sasm...@swcp.com> Date:
4/14/20  23:41  (GMT+01:00) To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee
Group <friam@redfish.com> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] anthropological observations
    Jochen -
    Can you describe more about how your idea of "hidden genes"
      contrasts and compares to Dawkin's "memes"?
    Glen (I think) has questioned the term (meme) in the past, but I
      don't think we ever discussed the point here?  I don't know if his
      argument was more against Dawkins, against the use of
      analogy/metaphor to relate genes to memes or something yet more
      fundamental?

    I find the least-common-denominator common-usage of the term
      "meme" to be somewhat lame but the original term as presented by
      Dawkins was fairly compelling and widely applicable... but like
      all metaphors, it has it's limits.

    I'd be interested in a discussion here on that topic, and perhaps
      how that relates to this thread.
    - Steve