Now Marcus is just being sadistic. >8^D

My own guess at a summary of Eric's stance is that where we see qualities, we
can, at will, invert the vision and see quantities. Fontana is a great source
for distinguishing construction from evolution. But for me, BC Smith [†] is
better for maintaining an agnostic flippability (Necker cube) between objects
vs fields, nodes vs edges, nouns vs verbs. The conflation Nick began with
between expected value (an algorithmic reduction from a distribution to a
singular thing/object) and a *quality* ... a qualitative feature of the world,
parsed (registered in BC Smith's domain) from the ambience of the world is not
inherently a bad thing. That conflation is not inherently bad because they're
similar. They're both transformations from a field to a thing. The key is to be
able to flip it back again, from a thing to a field.

It is our nature as pattern-recognizers to parse the ambience into things ...
at least that *was* our nature before the modern math/physics *field*
techniques began to seep into our intuition. Some of us who deal with
fields/ambience/distributions all the time have begun to relax the harsh and
immediate parsing. Engineers tend to simply be a bit lazy about it. The parsing
happens, but they talk of approximations and epsilon as it goes to ∞ or 0.
Mathematicians talk of duals, congruence, bisimulation, isomorphism,
comutation, etc.

But I think it can all be adequately understood in terms of qualities vs
quantities. Qualities like "wetness" are precisely the same as things like
"frozen pond". Quantities like 32°F are precisely the same as processes like
"if I walk on that, I'll slip and fall". The language each of us uses to grok
this stuff is a choice. Eric provided a nice swath across several domains.
Maybe too many. We're faced with the tyranny of choice. I'd treat it like a
cafeteria. Pull the thread you understand best.

Bah! 316 words ... close enough, I say!

[†] On the Origin of Objects or, better yet Philosophy of Mental Representation
ed Hugh Clapin.

--
☣ uǝlƃ

. ...
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam