Is it really as bad as all of that? I like your choice of Darboux, rather
than Euler or Gauss, because his name quickly points me in a particular
direction. My experience is that familiarity with the tastes of individual
mathematicians contributes to navigating that vast sea, mercifully
suggesting hope that some charted course will not lead me astray. Darboux
fashioned such-and-such tool and if I think about the problem for a while, I
too may need such a tool. I suppose I can agree that like the Dewey decimal
or LLC system, it is an awkward and archaic attempt at library science.
OTOH, it seems to work well with my sensibility for building my personal
memory castle. Certainly, however, if I read an uninterpretable sentence
concluded with, "to which we apply a theorem of St. Anthony...", well then I
would surely cry.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam