Nick,

The hysteria seems appropriate, though perhaps unsustainable. I was going
to say that deaths are surely down relative to a year ago, but this isn't
really the case. As Frank says, the real question is whether you are part
of the general that the deaths are happening in, or whether you are part of
some other general, so that you can uncomfortably feel like your odds of
being infected and noticeably impacted by covid are small, even though your
status as a fair die remains fraught. Either way, covid is here to stay.

Best,
Alex

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 5:23 PM <thompnicks...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is Hysterical Nick writing:
>

> Hysterical Nick just looked at the numbers for the first time in several
> weeks and was startled to find that the case rate in santa fe is 41 per
> 10^5, which is roughly where we were last year ahead of the holiday
> blowout.  Only this year, almost everybody I know is planning to stand
> around hot steamy kitchens drinking and yelling at their relatives over
> politics.   I can no longer manipulate the doh website to find out the
> present demographics or zipcode of the epidemic so I have to assume that
> there are approximately 600 people currently infected with covid and that
> they are all standing in line with me at Whole Foods.
>

> Has any of you don’t deeper and less hysterical thinking about this?

> Nick Thompson
>
> thompnicks...@gmail.com
>
> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
> Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn UTC-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
> archives:
>  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
>  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/