I find this nicely referential to Jeff Hawkins (Palm Pilot, Redwood) SensoriMotor learning based in his (poorly named?) 1000 Brains theory and his (new to me) concept/project of applying those Neurological Models of the NeoCortex to developing AI.

   https://spectrum.ieee.org/jeff-hawkins

On a nearly orthogonal tangent referential to Dave's throwdown in haptics and VR:

   https://www.bhaptics.com/

Reminiscent of Haptek's *original* mission to provide VR haptic suits suitable for at least virtual combat sports if not military training.   The founders include Chris and Robert Shaw (yes, of Chaos Cabal <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Shaw_(physicist)> fame) but they made an abrupt kink in their trajectory developing PeoplePutty for building lifelike VR Avatars.  Chris visited sfX a couple of times before *we* went defunct!

FWIW, Chris drew the image that was printed on the posters and T-shirts for the first Evolution, Games and Learning conference in Los Alamos (leading toward the ALife conferences) in roughly 1985 or 1986?  It was a human hand drawing a robot hand ala Escher. My T-shirt got repurposed into an art project by my partner in the 90s... I haven't seen it (or found an image of the drawing) in decades excepting for tripping over Steen's Son Leif visiting back from college at El Parasol in Pojoaque (10 years ago?) wearing Steen's copy of the shirt... surreal, no?

I thought PeoplePutty had gone totally defunct but it appears it evolved (or got folded) into character.ai which I have only followed one link deep... Chris is their Chief Creative Officer or somesuch.

Riffing or tangenting on DaveW's VR-Sex angle, many of us here may have tested or even owned a Novint Falcon device...   docking molecules and folding proteins was the killer app IMO.   Before they went totally out of business (theme here, VR businesses failing?) I tried to acquire a suite of them for a specific telecollaboration project and found that the production line had been bought out for over a year in the future.   I probed around and found that there was a startup company adapting them for a "teledildonics" product aspiration.  I couldn't tell if they ever made it.  I'm guessing not, too absurd to imagine.

I think my aspirational project was well before this, but this DailyMail reference suggested the "dark" project went forward (or another took it up):

There was also a "pistol grip" used widely for first-person shooter games (a whole new twist on the bump-stock concept?)   The mechanism is basically a "stewart platform".

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_platform

FriXion Cyber-Dildonics:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2908819/The-social-network-SEX-TOYS-New-network-aims-link-smart-toys-online-couples-play-together.html

And then there is the less prurient for teleHandholding:

   https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/396691740/frebble-hold-hands-online

Apt for COVID lockdown romances?

Mumble,

- Sieve

long time ago, in the early days of "virtual reality" I consulted for W Industries, a company in England that made full body suits with thousands of tiny sensors and effectors for the purpose of cyber-sex. They worked well enough but suffered from a "lack of resolution" just as early CRT monitors. Unlike monitors, like Apple's Retina displays, where the 'pixel density' could be increased sufficiently to be convincing; the body suits would have had to have a "pixel' density" several orders of magnitude greater than that required to build a convincing display.

davew