I've been wondering in the past few days what scenario might unfold that
would allow Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld to "save face" if their initial "full steam
ahead" effort did not succeed.  Let's face it, when even normally polite and
reticent Canada speaks up against what you are saying you have every
intention of doing, then you've got to wonder whether you've sold the idea
well.

And yes, a back room diplomatic effort to manipulate significant concessions
would certainly help.  I would be looking to leaks from within SA, however,
not from here.  This is too much conflicting information over here and not a
single authoritative voice.
By the way, I didn't see the network news last night, but went back and
listened to the audio of PBS Newshours' Daily Updates to see how it was
presented, and they at least did not "pooh-pooh" the UN Report about
Al-Qaeda being in good financial health.  They did not do a follow-up story,
but it was not minimized.  More to come, I assume.

So in looking about this morning, on my first cup of coffee mind you, I see
the following:

Campaign to cut all-Qaida funds stalls, UN panel says @
http://www.msnbc.com/news/800758.asp?0dm=C22QN citing the story in the
Washington Post yesterday.

Columnist David Ignatius makes the point that if the US Administration is
serious about bringing democracy to the Middle East, it must recognize and
sell it as a long campaign, not a quick military war but more like the Cold
War.  And quoting the French defense analyst Heisborg, the way to do this is
to make human rights the main topic at every international meeting, every
time, every place.  Unfortunately, for other reasons, the Bush-Cheney
administration has a spotty record on promoting human rights already, less
than two years into its Supreme Court-decided term, of compromising human
rights when it is expedient, to protect Exxon Mobile, for example, in
Indonesia.

Ignatius: Wilsonian Course for War @
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14076-2002Aug29.html

Keith wrote:
According to some of our newspapers this morning, there is now so much
pressure from America's "allies" all round the world that Bush may be
willing, after all, to seek United Nations backing for a war, or at least,
a new UN resolution for weapons inspections in Iraq.

On the face, this is an amazing volte face -- and, really, is little short
of suggesting that Cheney and Rumsfeld have been idiots in their recent
bellicose speeches when, after all, they were fully aware that
international opinion and fierce criticism within Congress were almost
unanimously against US policy already.

The interesting thing is that David Rennie, the Daily Telegraph's man in
Washington, is saying that officials in Washington and at the president's
ranch in Crawford are engaged in "fierce discussions" over this. Have
rumours of this been leaked on purpose?