[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Maybe the underperforming students were "not willing" to perform students
> and perhaps class was not the best place for them.  At some point people
> have to fit into the various slots offered by society.
[snip]

       Rachel Lloyd, former prostitute who now works in a supervisory
       position in a New York City prostitution prevention/outreach
       program: "'I always had a strong
       work ethic. I took a year off just to shoplift,
       but I would take that seriously, too. I used to get up
       at 8 o'clock in the morning, put on a suit, bun my hair
       and go out. I was good, too." (Shaila K.
       Dewan, "Guiding the Young Away From the Oldest
       Profession", NYT, 12Dec02, p.B2).

Ms. Lloyd has further leveraged her industriousness into
a foundation grant to attend graduate school....

At first I was really offended by this example of
sin as the royal road to salvation, but just now I remembered
St. Augustine of Hippo[crisy] who, before he sanctified himself, had
his fill of the pleasures of the flesh, and then dumped his
mistress and her child without even an annuity, before
offering himself to The Lord.

Maybe Ms. Lloyd should apply for the position opened
up by Bernard Law's resignation in Boston.

    Only dumb people work hard.  Smart people work smart....

    Experientia docet, too!

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Visit my website ==> http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/