Harry & you free market folks,

This is so dense I suspect it will be ignored rather than read but I had a
good thinking anyway.    I thought I would post it in case anyone else would
care to wade through it.    There is a gold vein there and I see it clearly.
Who knows?   Maybe someone else will see it too.    Enjoy or delete.

How do you feel about Allopathic Medicine?    Your argument for the "Free
Market"  is very much in line with the type of non-intervention advocated by
many types of alternative healing methods.      In otherwords they say there
is no such thing as a "magic bullet" to cure illness.   They say modern
chemicals are "unnatural" and even destroy the systems of nature present in
the body and besides "a little death is the price that we all pay for
living."     In that manner of thought, "dis-ease" becomes a form of the
greater curing of that great "eco-system" out there.     The Invisible Hand
of medicine and ecology.

They say: "If you will just meditate on the 'great market' and its ultimate
goodness then the Invisible Hand will heal the system and work at peak
efficiency automatically."   Cute, but it doesn't make much sense.    Who
amongst you would forgo giving medicine to a child dying of cancer because
it is better for the greater good?     Who would watch your mate or your
brother pass at a young age because it is not correct for the balance of
nature,  AND  who would claim that their mother or child are responsible for
having gotten their cancer or heart disease in the first place and therefore
must bear the consequences?

Today, we may laugh on the radio, at people dying from lung cancer or who
spill too hot coffee on their laps while driving but we don't spread the
same rules to the vulnerable in our own home, except in economics.
Economics,  Wow!    What was supposed to facilitate all of the better sides
of humanity through greater financial  efficiency and the understanding of
its mechanisms, has instead become a "good" and a "moral system" of its own,
separate from those things that it was supposed to "help."    Today we may
be more "productive but we are not more human, more artistic, better lovers,
better parents or more compassionate in our wisdom.   We are just more venal
and materialistic as we blame it on the great "Invisible Hand" of the market
place or the lack of it.

Would it surprise you if I pointed out that from that same time in history
that was a "naturists" movement in the teaching of voice?    That after the
great pedagogists of the Bel Canto era had literally created the greatest
human voices and techniques on the planet, we invented a version of teaching
that claimed to be re-discovering the nature of the voice and the perfection
of that nature.    Ignoring the fact that Bel Canto had "invented" them they
now claimed that voices were "born" and not built.    Even today we have
this left over version of Romanticism that makes it OK to ignore the less
than obviously talented and to leave it to those who are "Gifts of God."
This version removes the song from everyone but the ones with the "Stimme"
the "great voice."    Those who don't possess it can't play.   Stupid, you
bet!     Wrong?   Absolutely and against all human experience.   Believed by
millions?   Yes and even worse, taught by professional musicians who don't
want amateur competition or who wish to exercise authority over "Holy Art"
which they see as the domain only of the "talented".    The Invisible Hand
of talent is the most efficient way to develop and sustain talent, except it
isn't and doesn't work.   It's a lie!

Or would it be better to observe the "Classical Economics" of John Baptiste
Say?    (JB)    I realize that I have a different take on what he said
especially since he agrees with Harry on the "unlimited desire" stuff.
But desires are limited by experience and our knowledge of what it is
possible to desire.    And in the sense that the future is created, out of
the successes of the past, in the imagination, and not so much in the
failures (basic rat psychology) you often need "supply" before you can have
demand.

This is where Keynes forgot to talk to his Russian Ballerina wife and John
Stuart Mill completely misunderstood his healing from the poet Wordsworth
when he had his nervous breakdown.    We might paraphrase Jesus here and say
it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than it is for an
"intellectual" to give up the predispositions of his thought system and
trust his experience of the world at large.

Think about this: when the missionaries came to Indian people and we read
their manual we were impressed with the book.    At one point the great
Iroquois philosopher warrior Red Jacket said after reading the Bible and
talking with one of these missionaries that they would "now wait a period of
a generation to see how well the Christians practiced the manual and whether
it worked in reality."      The missionary left in a "huff" refusing to
shake the hand of the great man who was used to thinking about the future of
his people, down to the seventh generation, in "actions" rather than to a
simple bargain with God for the soul of an individual.

Today if you want a future then you must create your success in the present
and I haven't had any rich folks or government agents create success for me
in 43 years but I have had a lot get in the way.     If I waited for them to
"want" what I did in order to sell it then I would never created it in the
first place.    I had to create the product and make it work and only then
would the supply I created bring forth a demand for what I did.    People
who get in the way of my supplying that product are useless and I don't keep
them around as I used to when I was younger.    Balance and success demands
a little more than just having an opinion and sitting on your hands or
betting on "Invisible Hands."

So my personal experience has been that "Invisible Hands" are "ideals" that
may have very long term general applications but are not useful in the short
term.   On one hand, as an Artist,  I must think like Red Jacket but on the
other I must think like the missionary.    In the Arts or Intellectual
Property you must think in terms of products that disappear once they have
been experienced.    They cannot be known except in the moment and
experience is based upon the discretion of taste that is cultivated.

The key is in the learning "device" that John Dewey called the "readiness
point."    I know Harry, Dewey liked George.   But let's leave George and
just think that what you should do is "prepare your society to do what your
product is."    That preparation takes time and within that time it can slip
if you take it too fast or slow.    If you can't create your audience in
their "taste" then supply will come too quickly and it won't be bought and
you will have a "glut."   (J.B. Say is mistaken about the meaning of "glut"
in my business.)    If supply comes too late or too slowly then you will
have a scarcity and you will have nothing to supply but even worse, your
audience's imagination will go elsewhere and you may have start over in your
preparation phase.    But! and that but-t is as big a one as the gorgeous
JayLo,  BUT! if you can create a supply around the "reduction back to the
preparation phase" then you will create demand ala J.P. Say's "supply
creates demand."

But if! as in the US Fine Arts establishment, you have very little supply
then there is very little likelihood of a demand ever developing due to the
desire of the human spirit for a successful resolution of it's desires.
The more poor you are, the less likelihood you will ever go for such a
frustrating and unlikely success.   Hence we find Amerika!    Or as the
lovely Rosina says .......Ma!

But!    wasn't there an audience somewhere, sometime ago?    How did they
happen?    The great composers from the peasant class in Europe were
developed by an Aristocracy who wanted an appreciative audience for their
theaters.    Even in America the Plantation owners sent slaves to the opera
emulating the Aristocracy of Europe.   Hence your operatic voiced spirituals
and big voiced gospel music as well as Jazz.   (Levine, Massey Lectures from
Harvard)       If you get just the right timing and you reach the readiness
point with "supply" in hand and the audience's "need" then Keynes "works"
and you have desire creating demand and you sell.     On the other hand if
you don't then Keynes doesn't work and they will never demand or even desire
a complex artistic product.    You have to have enough supply to create
taste for a complex artistic product.   J.B. Say "works" in that sense.
"Supply creates demand" if there is enough taste to create desire!

We have the same story with ecology and the "magic fires" formed by
lightning and the great consciousness of Gaia.   Some people even ascribe
such beliefs to us!     And then beat us up for it.   How little they know!
Systematically you have to be against such things as  birth control
(unnatural control diverts the effectiveness of nature upon natural
selection and the survival of the brightest and best) etc.    Metaphor,
all metaphor.    The only process here is metaphor in that God damned hand!

You can take the metaphorical process wherever you would like, however I
would just like to say the the "Invisible Hand" of Smith and others is
really just a version of a the great perfect clock of Deism wound up in
perfection and only a problem when the God Creator is not there to start it.
Ain't myths wonderful?     Well for 1/2% they are anyway.    That is some
judgment of success you folks have.

Ray Evans Harrell

"how do you like your blue eyed boy now mr. death?"