> As you are against corporate theft, you obviously are against the
tariff
> and quota structure that adds so much to the prices of all the goods
we
> buy. To reel you in, I had better say that raise the prices of goods
bought
> by poor people.
>
> So you are a free trader.

[Bruce Leier]
Where do you come up with this nonsense?

> I know too that you are against the patents that raise the prices of
drugs
> to old people.
[Bruce Leier]
ok.
 As I've mentioned, I have belonged, for forty years, to one
> of the best HMO's in the country - Kaiser Permanente. I get drugs at a
big
> discount. Generic drugs are $10 (for say 100 pills). The patented
drugs are
> $25 - though they often supply two rather than one for the price. I'm
sure
> they use their mammoth buying power to get the cheap prices. I use an
> asthma treatment spray. Two sprays cost me $25 dollars and last for
100
> days - about $87.50 a year.
>
> I checked Cosco for the price. It was $71 a spray - or about $500 a
year.
> This is a new spray that replaced another which was long used but
sometimes
> gave problems. The old spray was a generic. Four were supplied for
$10.
> These lasted for 148 days. So the annual cost was about $25. However,
at
> Cosco, the price for one was $63. For a year, this would cost me $630.
>
> My asthma is mild, so I wish they hadn't changed. Maybe severe cases
need a
> better treatment, but they have to standardize to get a good price. On
the
> other hand, did the pharmaceuticals get to Kaiser and turn them to a
more
> expensive spray? Kaiser is run by the doctors - but faced by mounting
> costs, is this (and perhaps other instances) their way to increase
revenue?

> I don't know, but I doubt it. I trust them to do whatever will
generally
> best treat their patients.
>
> However, as I said, for years I used an asthma spray that cost me
about $25
> a year. If I had paid the brand name price it would have cost me $630.
>
> Same spray - the difference is the patent law..
>
> The difference is the privilege bestowed on the pharmaceutical
companies by
> the people who are supposed to represent us. Then, liberal thought is
> apparently to tax these receipts of privilege. This means the money is
> collected from poor and ill people by the pharmaceutical corporations
-
> there to suffer taxation.
>
> Then, continues liberal addled thinking, the poor will be subsidized
by
> universal health care, or medicaid, or some other such program. These
> programs will then pay the high price of drugs, which goes to the
> pharmaceutical corporations, to be taxed, so it can pay part of the
cost of
> the high priced drugs.

[Bruce Leier] What was that all about?

> Brilliant!
>
> If they were radicals instead of wimps, liberals would get rid of the
> privileges.

[Bruce Leier] Liberals can't be radicals.  The tautology may be
fundamentalist-conservative-radical-moderate-liberal (in no particular
order meant or implied).

> But?
>
> Oh, but then research in new drugs would end.
[Bruce Leier]
Why is that?  It is of course utter nonsense from a "true believer'.

 Oh, my gosh! So, now we get
> the new drugs, but the majority of people can't afford them anyway, so
> their invention doesn't matter much to most people.
>
> In fact, as I've said, half the drugs research is not carried out by
the
> pharmaceutical corporations. Again, the corporations spend more money
on
> advertising than research. Yet, again, I wonder how much those
corporations
> spend on their sycophants (there is a pharmaceutical lobbyist for
every two
> congressmen).
>
> This is only one part of the network of privilege that is provided by
> government to the fat cats who screw us.
>
> I bet Al Gore would have done something about it (after he had handled
> Global Warming, of course).
>
> So, Bruce, if you want to light a candle rather than curse the
darkness,
> support free trade for the US and hammer privilege - perhaps beginning
with
> patents.
>
> I suppose that's my rant for today.

[Bruce Leier] It sure was.  rofl