Ed Weick wrote:
Keith, what we're into here is the thorny question of the extent to which
the people of a modern democracy are responsible for the commitments their
leaders make on their behalf.   IMHO, they are responsible,
[snip]

WHat could this possibly mean?  How could it
be operationalized?

If Bush (or the U.S. military, etc.) commit a
war crime, should *I* be tried along with
the likes of Goering and Speer (or even Kissinger and
O. North)?  Even if I voted for Gore (or Nader)?

Should I be made to pay reparations for what
they did?  I barely make enough money to have
a moderate life as it is.

How can powerless individuals be held accountable for
the actions of their "representatives"?  I called
Senator Clinton's office to try to get some help with
something entirely patriotic and I was given the
brushoff.

*Now* ! There *is* a way citizens can make a
difference, but I doubt it'w what you had in
mind.  Timothy McVeigh made more diference
than most ordinary citizens.

I think the ontological status of the individual
person in mass society is a profound problem (not
really, since each individual soon enough is dead, and
as Don Quixote observed:

    There is no memory which time does not efface,
    ANd no pain to which death does not bring an end.

So what?).

I think "the Scandanavian model", and the conclsions
of the study _Work in America_ which the Nixon
Administration comissioned, which also
suggested the desirability of greater
worker participation in work group self-management
would at least begin to try to turn the juggernaut
around.

But maybe, by "people", you are not referring to individual
human beings, but to that quasi-real entity "the American
people", who are everybody in general and nobody
in particular?  That would remind me of when galaxies
"collide": such a collision does not imply that even
a single individual star from one galaxy shashes
into a star from the other galaxy -- but the two
galaxies, nonetheless, can be so drastically
upheaved that it no longer is possible to
say that either galaxy continues to exist.
Or they can pass thru each other like ghosts
crosing paths, perhaps?

In what ways do you propose I am responsible for
what the U.S. government does?  What do you
want me to do about it?  (Please substitute
yourself and your government in the preceding
two sentences, unless you are a high government oficial,
in which case you can probably find some good reason why
you are not responsible for whatever happens).

I find it very discouraging to be a "nobody", but
I don't see what I can do.  Maybe you can illuminate me?

\brad mccormick (transcendental subjectivity is not
                  necesarily political agency)

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]