Who is L. Paul Bremer?

REH

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 9:49 AM
Subject: Hamer is not an Ambassador (was Re: [Futurework] Has Saddam won?

Ray,

Hamer is Paul Hamer, the US Civilian Administrator in Baghdad, whom Bush has taken to calling Ambassador Hamer recently. This, of course, is a total misnomer because there is no legitimate government in Iraq to whom Hamer could be an ambassador to.

Just as a rider to what I wrote below, I would expect that there'll be some relative quietude for a day or two while the Governing Council mull over the message that Hamer has brought back with him from Bush (which is: "What the hell do I do now? It's up to you guys to pull something out of the hat.").

Of course, the Governing Council won't call for elections for a Constitutional Council in order to establish the ground rules for a General Election as Grand Ayatollah Sistani is calling for because it will produce a Shia majority -- and thus, probably a Shia government, which is the last thing that the Americans (or the Governing Council) would want. So they'll dither.

There are, of course, spies on the Governing Council despite being hand-picked by the Americans. When Wolfowitz went secretly to Baghdad a week ago, he didn't stir from the Al Rashid Hotel for security reasons, not did he even meet with the Governing Council. But Saddam's rockets almost got him all the same -- only one floor wrong. When the Council's state of dither and full extent of Bush's dilemma becomes known to Saddam's henchmen and the other terrorist groups (though they have certainly already guessed this) then I think we can expect terrorism to be ramped up from then onwards in the Arab Sunni triangle.

It is obvious that the American Army has been instructed to find and destroy Saddam at all costs (as they are also trying to do for Osama in Afghanistan right now). Bush is desperate for some success like this even though it will not help the main problem. Whether the troops succeed or not, it is sure that they will further alienate the Iraqi people in Baghad and environs by their activities. I cannot foresee anything that could stabilise the beginnings of civil war now except a fairly immediate announcement of an early General Election -- which, as suggested above, is exceedingly unlikely.

Now that the US, UK oil corporations and LUKoil will not move in and start developing the oilfields in northern Iraq, Bush has absolutely no more arrows in his quiver. He is on a hiding to nothing. This is very apparent in his conversations and announcements (as with Frost today). He hasn't got a complete sentence in his head. He can only refer in a jerky sort of way about the support of his only friend in the world -- Tony Blair. Except for a few Republican Senators, I think he will soon have almost no support from anybody at the highest levels of the American government and administration except his own immediate circle. He will be impeached or dethroned pretty soon I would guess. There's no other way out for the credibility of America. Putin can get away with these sorts of antics in what is still a totalitarian state, but surely not in America! Or am I dreadfully wrong?

Keith Hudson