Brad you said:
I think the idea of the "transparent factory" is worth
> thinking about, even if as something we won't be
> able to enjoy in our work life because we
> live in a neocon instead of a social welfare country.

Here is a thought from a neo-con columnist who thought he was being funny
but came pretty close to telling the truth.     New York (City anyway) is a
different country.     We do think about social welfare and a symmetrical
synergy rather than this unbalanced fundamentalism that has to deny the
world in order to exist.

REH

December 6, 2003
OP-ED COLUMNIST
Going Native for 2004
By DAVID BROOKS

o: Tom DeLay

From: A Concerned Conservative

Dear Tom,

This week I read that you have abandoned plans to house Republicans safely
on a cruise ship off the island of Manhattan during the G.O.P. convention in
New York this summer. Have you paused to consider what this will mean?

It will mean that instead of spending time in a secure environment offshore,
kind, decent Republicans will be wandering innocently among packs of
inflamed New York liberals. They'll be subjected to long harangues that rely
heavily on the words "multilateral," "Kyoto" and "John Ashcroft." They'll
get condescending looks when they go into a deli and order a strawberry and
chocolate chip bagel with pineapple cream cheese - a perfectly acceptable
bagel option in most suburbs. They will naïvely pick up The Village Voice,
thinking it contains small-town news.

When the Utah delegation pauses to say grace before dinner at Elaine's, the
cultural dissonance will be so great it will be measurable on the Richter
scale.

Tom, New York is not a place where Republicans can feel at home. New York
has Central Park, which is a large pastoral area without a single putting
green. It is a city with nearly eight million people, none of whom own
riding mowers.

New Yorkers suffer from liberal anhedonia, which is the inability to derive
pleasure from grossly oversized pieces of machinery. So when a Republican
starts a perfectly normal conversation about the glories of his powerboat,
snowmobile, combine or hemi, the liberal is likely to screech out something
about the ozone layer.

New York is a city of strange rituals. The people live in these vertical
gated communities they call apartment buildings, but they don't seem to have
normal family structures. If a Martian landed in a Manhattan playground, he
would conclude that human beings start out small and white, and grow up to
become middle-aged Jamaican women. In Manhattan, when an oldest child turns
12, entire families disappear overnight.

If we are really going to abandon the idea of having a secure cruise ship
offshore, we've got to reduce Republican delegates' vulnerability by giving
them the information and tools they will need to camouflage themselves as
New York liberals. I am willing to work up an instructional video - "How to
Be Ruth Messinger in 12 Easy Steps" - but in the meantime we need to send
out a fact sheet.

We need to tell prospective G.O.P. delegates what sort of clothing they
cannot wear in New York: pastels, pleated pants, khakis, Docksiders and
tassels. If a Republican was seen walking down Riverside Drive wearing his
normal outfit - tasseled loafers, no socks, green pants, a festive plaid
sports jacket and a faded Hawaiian Tommy Bahama shirt - some New Yorker
would come up and ask him if he could bring Paris Hilton out to his home for
a reality series.

We also need to tell them what they will need to blend in: dark, rumpled
clothing, frayed shopping bags from the Strand, logo-less sweatshirts, Yasir
Arafat-style facial hair and those black rectangular glasses that make
everybody look like a Dutch architect.

We're going to have to give them phrases they can use in case they are
called upon to make elevator small talk. We have to give them examples of
sentiments they should avoid ("You're Jewish? Oh, I love your Ariel
Sharon!"), and examples of phrases they should use ("Nice weather we're
having. Too bad about the climate of McCarthyism settling over the land.")

I don't like thinking about Orrin Hatch in a do-rag any more than you do,
but this problem is going to require creative thinking. Liberalism doesn't
just happen. It is a product of a certain environment. I'm afraid if our
stouthearted Republicans find themselves in New York, with its insufficient
closet space and inadequate kitchen counters, they may start turning liberal
themselves.

They may start caring about what happens inside Condé Nast, taking Quentin
Tarantino seriously, practicing therapeutic yoga and fantasizing about
having Al Franken's baby.

What will you do then, when you call up your major donors and they ask you
to phone back after "West Wing" is over? Then you'll rue the day you
canceled that cruise ship idea. But then it'll be too late. By the summer of
2008 we'll be holding the G.O.P. convention in Bridgehampton.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company | Home | Privacy Policy | Search |
Corrections | Help | Back to Top