[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
We have "solved" the production problem but can't seem to deal with the
issue of distribution.
[snip]

Might that be because, in lowering prices (solving the production problem...)
we lowered wages to so that the workers can't afford to buy what
they make?  Didn't Ford pay workers $5 a day back in the 30s, in
part, so that they could afford to buy Fords?

The law of unintended consequences says that things will
go awry in ways we cannot expect (and most
certainly do not desire!) except in the economy
where he invisible hand sees to it that all
unintended consequences are optimal, and that
the only way to mess things up is to try to foresee
and them and act to prevent the parts we don't want
to happen.

The way I lok at it, it's kind of like a problem
in geometry: You can start here or you can start there,
and for each starting point different things
will be "easy" but no matter where you start
eventually you hit a wall.  The free market and
the managed economy each finds some things
easy and eventually the road starts going uphill
for all....  (Of course, some alternatives do seem
more generally unlikely to succeed, e.g.,
if you start your trek by shooting yourself in the foot
even though absolutely no one and no thing even
suggested you do so.)  In other words, there are
no good alternatives but there most definitely
are worser ones.

\brad mccormick

--
  Let your light so shine before men,
              that they may see your good works.... (Matt 5:16)

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

<![%THINK;[SGML+APL]]> Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]