Harry missed the point and talks about a different era.
Did Dubya invade Iraq because of the Iran-Iraq war or what?
Nope, because of WMD that were alleged to threaten the US.
And these were supplied by the US, not by France.

For starters, have a look at "Iraqgate"...
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/nsa/publications/iraqgate/iraqgate.html
Also check out
http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/congress/1992/h920428g.htm
http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/congress/1991/h910425g.htm