[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I agree that credentials do cut through the HUGE NUMBERS.  But, gosh,
sometimes the credential acts to cloak the activities of the person and so
the client is so mystified that he/she can't or won't ask questions---even
when things go wrong.

Of course a great credential can be a fine sheepskin for a wolf (or just an incompetent...) to hide under.

But I was talking about a necssary, not a sufficient condition
for the coordination of a highly-skill differentiated mass of persons.

Transparency surely is a good thing to continually strive for,
but, as Louis Kahn said:

    All the things that are are light that has been spent.
    And the light casts a shadow,
    And the shadow belongs to the light.

Or, as I like to paraphrase Erving Goffman:

Where thre's a system, there's a way to work it.

We see objects only because they are opaque.  Transparency of
the ambient atmosphere is necessary to see anything, but
every thing provides an oppoortunity to hide behind.

There are no easy solutions, but I do think that
increase of population (beyond some "golden mean",
probably the size of classical Athens, ca. 20,000
souls...) is an independent variable
that monotonically increases the level of difficulty.

Yes, I know, the solution to all our (and esp. the Japanese
since their females are being even more selfish
than ours in not producing enough children!) problems
is to increase the number of young workers (forever!), i.e.,
as the Sherwin-Williams Paint Company slogan goes:

Cover the earth

\brad mccormick

No easy solution to this issue. But making more open the workings of the medical, legal, chiropractic, architecural, etc. licensing and governance bodies is a good first step.

arthur