On 14Aug2007 19:11, seventh guardian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| > > I don't use FvwmCommand because it's too slow. [...]
| > > I do not want to start an executable every n seconds [...]
| >
| > You missed my point, I'm not using FvwmCommand, but only FvwmCommandS.
| > FvwmCommandS creates two fifos that can be used to send and receive
| > text to/from fvwm. So instead of calling FvwmCommand, you can directly
| > write commands to the command fifo. So really NO overhead at all.

| > As for the security issues, they can easily be circumvented by putting
| > the fifo in the user home dir.

(Or somewhere else well controlled, for users with home dirs over NFS,
like me at my workplace). Anyway, your point is taken - the user can do
it securely, BUT ...

I was fiddling with modules some time back and found the FIFO
locations... unpredictable. There's a bunch of logic in the module setup
code to decide where the FIFOs go. I am very firmly of the opinion
that the user should have a hook to override all of that and _directly_
specifly the FIFO location. From what I remember of the code, that's not
as straight forward as I'd have expected - FIFOs appeared as a side
effect of calling the setup code and didn't even get reported back to
the caller if I recall correctly.
--
Cameron Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

[The Press] had tried to contact usenet but that no one had been available
for comment.  That's odd, I thought, if there's one thing you can say about
usenet, its that there's usually someone available for comment.
        - Paul Taylor