On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 11:14:58AM +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 06:58:46PM +0100, seventh guardian wrote:

> > > I just coded it a while ago for my own purposes, so that's no
> > > problem.

> > > I don't use FvwmCommand because it's too slow.  I wanted a solution
> > > for displaying a clock and the process using the most cpu with as
> > > little overhead as possible.  I do not want to start an executable
> > > every n seconds because it has a negative influence on my system,
> > > (namely the graphics performance of Kobo-Deluxe).  I didn't do it
> > > for the fun of it but to solve a real problem.
> >
> > You missed my point, I'm not using FvwmCommand, but only FvwmCommandS.
> > FvwmCommandS creates two fifos that can be used to send and receive
> > text to/from fvwm. So instead of calling FvwmCommand, you can directly
> > write commands to the command fifo. So really NO overhead at all.
>
> (attached my fvwm_periodic script for reference)
>
> I see.  But this has several important issues:
>
>  * The "module" never notices that fvwm has gone away.  Every time
>    I restart I get another "module".  At the moment it catches the
>    PIPE signal and terminates, just like every other module.
>
>  * It would have to guess the pipe's name.  Note that I ofthen run
>    multiple fvwms on separate displays, so it would not do to hard
>    code /var/tmp/FvwmCommand-zitrone.obstwiese:0.0M (or 0.0C?).
>
> > As for the security issues, they can easily be circumvented by putting
> > the fifo in the user home dir.
>
> The -f option of FvwmCommandS currently does not allow to add the
> display name in the path, so it is difficult to have multiple
> "modules" on different displays at the same time.

By the way, I really don't understand why anybody considers
ListenOnlyModules a hack.  Isn't it perfectly acceptable to write
a module that does not want to take any input?  Why is it bad if
fvwm deos not send messages to certain modules?

Of course, writing such a module as an architecture dependent zsh
script *is* a hack, but that's the user's problem (i.e. mine), not
fvwm's.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --