On 8/15/07, seventh guardian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > (Or somewhere else well controlled, for users with home dirs over NFS,
> > like me at my workplace). Anyway, your point is taken - the user can do
> > it securely, BUT ...
> >
> > I was fiddling with modules some time back and found the FIFO
> > locations... unpredictable. There's a bunch of logic in the module setup
> > code to decide where the FIFOs go. I am very firmly of the opinion
> > that the user should have a hook to override all of that and _directly_
> > specifly the FIFO location. From what I remember of the code, that's not
> > as straight forward as I'd have expected - FIFOs appeared as a side
> > effect of calling the setup code and didn't even get reported back to
> > the caller if I recall correctly.
>
> You're right, they follow a logic put in fifos.c, and allowing the
> user to specify a new location isn't straight forward.

Hum it seems that FvwmCommand has options to specify a fifo, but they
don't work properly.. Also, the documentation is a mess on how things
work: there are lots of places claiming different a default location.

> If you ignore the security issues of not allowing a user to specify
> the fifos' location, there's an easy way to let the user know where
> they are: simply add a new cmd line option to FvwmCommand to reveal
> their location. This way a "script module" user would only need to
> call FvwmCommand once at the start of the script and then store the
> fifos' locations in a variable.

Not sure if this is worthwhile before actually fixing FvwmCommand(S)..
But note that it would still solve Dominik's problem for now without
requiring listen only modules.

Cheers,
  Renato