On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 11:50:39PM +0200, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 01:29:52AM +0200, Viktor Griph wrote:

> > >Yes, there is a reason.  I can't fully remember how all of this
> > >works, but look for the work "PlacedByButton3" in the man page.
> > >It occurs in several places.
> > >
> > There is no where in the man paer an explaination why (or even statement
> > that it is that way) when placing a window, moved without holding a mouse
> > button, the window may be kept moving until the button is released if
> > pressing (and holding) button one, compared to the effect that the window
> > locks at the position it were when the button was pressed if pressing
> > button three.
>
> The difference between button 1 and 3 has historical reasons.
> Normally, actions are triggered by a button release.  This allows
> to change your mind while the button is pressed and abort the
> action by pressing Escape or another mouse button.  However, when
> you place a window with button 3 this indicates that you want to
> resize the window immediately.  Hence the move ends and the resize
> starts when you press the button.  Releasing the button ends the
> resize.

Actually what I described is true for button 2, not 3 :-P

Usually you have a button pressed when you move a window, so
releasing the button ends the motion.  That is not true during
initial window placement.  In this case the move could end on
button 1 press.  However, finding out if any button is pressed
when the move-operation starts is not trivial.

The best approach would be to look at the mask of pressed buttons
when the first ButtonPress or ButtonRelease event arrives.  There
are three cases:

 1) ButtonPress, only the pressed button is down
 2) ButtonPress, another button is down too
 3) Button Release

In cases (2) and (3) a button was held when the move started, but
not in case (1).

> > I myself find the way button 3 woks now the nicest, since I then can place
> > the window where I wan't it without risk of dragging it away upon a sudden
> > movement just after release. If you really want button one to keep
> > dragging the window until the button is released I can hardcode that into
> > the placemnt changes I'm working on, but I still see no real reason to do
> > it.
>
> I prefer that everything stays as it is.  It's sometimes hard to
> remember what it is, but in fvwm almost everything has a reason.

Ciao