Alexander>
> [...]
Olivier>
Alexander> Ha! this is really great fault of these programs (rxvt fvwm and
Alexander> stuff), since KOI8-R locale consists of two character sets: koi8-r
Alexander> and... iso8859-1. So 1) there is not correct way keep KOI8-R strings
Alexander> in as ordinar char* 2) ther is no way to draw these strings with
Alexander> XDrawString.

I've asked one of current X_LOCALE coders Ivan Pascal about the
problem. He said I was not absolutely right, even conclusions are
correct. The history is that when it happened that people what to work
with more than 7bit second half of byte  was given to iso8859-1 and
this is an Xlib standart. So it you have 8-bit string it is either
us-ascii or iso8859-1. To deal with other encodings one need to use
multibyte strings. So most of the people need fvwm to be built with
I18N_MB.

--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia