But, when I run my Xserver with depth
8 (and fvwm allocate these 216 colors) I *cannot* reproduce any
problems, I can run netscape, xv, gimp, any gtk/gnome apps, any
kde apps ..etc without any problems.

You may be being helped by your graphics card/Xserver. If your setup allows other colormaps to be active without deactivating the root colormap then it could be that netscape etc have allocated a private colormap and you don't notice. Other people on less advanced hardware will.

It could be that your apps are sophisticated enough to cope with low availability of colors. There are plenty of ancient CAD applications around that fall over in a big heap if they don't get every color they ask for.

The old method reduce colors in the good way only for xpm.  Now I
think we need to reduce colors for png, tinting and gradient.
Moreover, the most important thing concerning colors with a
pseudo color visual is that color allocation MUST never fail. I
do not see an other method that this color table method.
Instead of allocating colors you can query the colormap and find a close match to the one you want and just use it. I'm not sure if it's possible to find out if a color cell is allocated to another client or not so it may be that picking color cells like this leaves you exposed to the color of the cell changing. Maybe allocing the color of the cell (rather than the original color) would fix the cell color.

Cheers,
Tim.