Mikhael Goikhman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > It may be not an option for a user. For example, he uses someone else's
> > > configuration (fvwm-themes), or his own configuration from another
> > > hardware. He may expect the same config automagically to look tolerably
> > > well even on another hardware.
> >
> > If you remember the mini-themes package I posted a while back,
> > it used cpp to eliminate the gradients in 8 bit environments.
> > Shouldn't fvwm-themes be doing something similar?
>
> Some of the themes are specially built to have a small number of colors.
> This may be finished when the currently included icon set 48x48-general
> (it may be disabled in configuration) is replaced with 48x48-infox that
> uses 15 colors in 84 icons. Together with mini icons (the included icon
> set 16x16-kde uses 44 colors in 84 icons), background, modules and other
> colors the default look should use no more than 100 colors. If [EMAIL
> PROTECTED]
> and NoIcon used, there are 50 colors at most.  ColorLimit is not required.

Note that the old ColorLimit code used at most 61 colors.
Its unlikely all 61 would get used.
More importantly, the color allocation was heavily biased toward
"named" colors.  The idea was that the named colors would most likely
be chosen by other applications or users.  In effect, a lot less
than 61 colors were used by Fvwm, leaving lots of colors available.

Most of my icons are created by myself or my coworkers for new
systems we acquire.  We normally do some Google searches using
the system name for the new system and find an image we like.
For this, colorlimiting is a big help.

> It is ugly to add a preprocessing code every time gradient or png used.

It looked to me like png's were already being colorlimited.
Only gradients had to be avoided.
Gradients aren't going to work on 8 bit color without some
really good dithering.

Even with dithering, I have my doubts.

--
Dan Espen                           E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214      Phone: (732) 699-5570