Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:37:51AM +0200, Michael Großer wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Thank you very much. This "destroy_window" event could
>> be the solution I was looking for.
>>
>> I will try to solve my problem over the weekend.
>
> AFAICT there's nothing left to solve?

I need time. Yesterday, a whole day elapsed while
I was reading, learning and programming all around
fvwm.

It is addictive: Once I start tweaking my GUI,
I sink into this world and forget the time
(and this is bad, because I have a job, too).
But, the results are great, compared to the fact
that I seriously started my private research project
yesterday in the early morning. I have 12 desktops
with 12 viewports per desktop. At the bottom left
corner on my screen resides the FvwmPager showing
48 viewports at one time (Desk 1 to Desk 4).
If I go to desk 5 to desk 8, it shows desk 5
to desk 8. If I go to desk 9 to desk 12, it
shows desk 9 to desk 12. So, I have plenty of
space for all my different projects. I configured
a lot of bindings so I can use the keyboard to
create new windows or operate with the viewports.
I studied the sample config files of the fvwm95
project to get suggestions. I created a digital
clock at the bottom right corner of my screen
using 3 instances of xclock to let it show
me the day of the week (1st instance), the
date (2nd instance) and the time (3rd instance).
Fvwm is automatically positioning these
instances for me using "Wait" and "Prev"
and setting some styles.

Later, I will fix the focus problem (I asked
for in this mailing list) and I will build a
task bar for me at the bottom, where is still
some room in the middle. I think that the
fvwm95 project will show me how I can get such
a task bar. The documentation of the fvwm
project is hard to read and could be written
a bit more well-arranged. But, I understand
the stuff that is written in the documentation,
because I invest the time to read it carefully
and to make some tests on my system.
And, many other window managers do not
have to write such a complex documentation,
because these window managers have very close
limits. And where nothing is to be documented
(because of the lack of functionality),
there is no complex documentation needed.

My goal is to create the perfect desktop
user interface for Linux systems and
I deeply prefer functionality. If I want
a system with 144 desktops, viewports
or whatever, then I do not expect that
a piece of software wants to explain me
that 20 Desktops are enough. If I need
a pager that is capable to show the
desktops using an arbitrary number of
rows, then I am annoyed when I discover
that the maintainers of a window manager
are about to replace a good but not
very inspiring pager by a pager that
cannot even use more than 2 rows to
display the desktops.

So, the most important requirement for
me is software with almost no limits
regarding functionality. Fvwm is nearly a
programming language. And this is what I
like.

Michael