Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 01:23:43PM +0200, Michael Großer wrote:
>> space for all my different projects. I configured
>> a lot of bindings so I can use the keyboard to
>> create new windows or operate with the viewports.
>> I studied the sample config files of the fvwm95
>> project to get suggestions. I created a digital
>
> Why?  You won't learn anything from looking at that file -- it's very old.

To get a clue how things work. The man pages
have the theory and the fvwm95 config files
contain the practice and can immediately be
tested. In other words: The man pages are the
reference and the fvwm95 config files are an
example. But 90 percent of my own config files
is code that I checked against the man pages,
because I actually want to understand my
own code.

>> clock at the bottom right corner of my screen
>> using 3 instances of xclock to let it show
>> me the day of the week (1st instance), the
>> date (2nd instance) and the time (3rd instance).
>> Fvwm is automatically positioning these
>> instances for me using "Wait" and "Prev"
>> and setting some styles.
>
> Wait and Prev?  Hmm, see the following as to why this is not a good thing
> anymore:
>
> http://fvwmwiki.xteddy.org/Tips/FVWMStartupProcedure/

I will look at it later.

>> Later, I will fix the focus problem (I asked
>> for in this mailing list) and I will build a
>> task bar for me at the bottom, where is still
>> some room in the middle. I think that the
>> fvwm95 project will show me how I can get such
>> a task bar. The documentation of the fvwm
>> project is hard to read and could be written
>> a bit more well-arranged. But, I understand
>> the stuff that is written in the documentation,
>
> How could it be improved?

Some examples:

1. FuncFvwmRaiseLowerX
======================
This page...
http://www.fvwm.org/doc/unstable/fvwm/fvwm.man.html
... does not explain, how FuncFvwmRaiseLowerX exactly
works. I just use it and I don't understand it.
I just use it to move windows with
"Win" + "left mouse button" and it does the
job for me. I don't now why. This could be
improved. Perhaps just make a link to the
document that gives more information about
FuncFvwmRaiseLowerX.

2. destroy_window
=================
This page...
http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/manpages/unstable/FvwmEvent.php
... mentions "destroy_window" only two times.
I can guess what it does, and I think, I will
solve my problems with this, but one little section
for each event that explains what exactly causes
the respective event, would be a nice improvement.

3. continuous text
==================
The human race is an image processing animal.
When I was studying the bindings syntax, I needed
a reference. I needed the particular options
in tables. But, I found them amongst continuous text.
The first thing that I did was creating my own
reference (half German, half English) that
I attached to this e-mail message.

Just look at the attachments to guess what I mean.
I thing, it could be a nice improvement if
someone would write this kind of information
in table form, so I can find the right piece
of information more quickly (and without
the need to create my own reference in my
own language).

You asked for this kind of feedback.
I hope, I could give you a good and
constructive answer for the start.

For me, I think, I got some first acceptable
results with fvwm. But, I think that I need
some years to be an absolute fvwm professional.

I'm just learning.

Michael
Syntax der Bindings
===================
1. Tastatur-Bindings
--------------------
Key Keyname Context Modifiers Function

2. Maus-Bindings
----------------
Mouse Button Context Modifiers Function

3. Der "Keyname"
----------------
Siehe hier:
/usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h
--> Das "XK_" muss weggelassen werden.

4. Der "Button"
---------------
0: Irgendeine Maustaste
1: Linke Maustaste
2: Mittlere Maustaste
3: Rechte Maustaste

5. Der "Context"
----------------
Wo soll das Binding zur Anwendung kommen?
R: the root window
W: an application window
T: a window title-bar
S: a window side, top or bottom bar
F: a window frame (the corners)
I: an icon window
0: title-bar button Nummer 0
.
.
.
9: title-bar button Nummer 9
A: any context except for title-bar buttons

Kombinationen dieser Buchstaben und Zahlen sind möglich.

6. Die "Modifiers"
------------------
N: no modifiers
C: Control
S: Shift
M: Meta      = Alt
L: Caps-Lock (wird per Default ignoriert)
A: Any modifier
0:           = no modifiers
1: mod1      = Alt
2: mod2
3: mod3
4: mod4      = Win
5: mod5      = Alt Gr

7. Function
-----------

8. Title-bar buttons
--------------------
1 3 5 7 9   0 8 6 4 2
1. StartFunction
================
Wird bei Starts und Restarts aufgerufen.

2. InitFunction
===============
Wird bei Starts aufgerufen, direkt nach "StartFunction".

3. RestartFunction
==================
Wird bei Restarts aufgerufen, direkt nach "StartFunction".

4. Einklinken von Befehlen in diese Funktionen
AddToFunc StartFunction I Befehl

Anstelle von I kann Folgendes stehen:
I: immediate
M: motion
C: click
H: hold
D: double-click
Fokus-Policys
- ClickToFocus: is klar
- MouseFocus: Default / Focus verschwindet, wenn Maus verschwindet
- FocusFollowsMouse: ist ein Alias von MouseFocus
- SloppyFocus: Focus bleibt, wenn Maus verschwindet
- NeverFocus: is klar

Achtung: Für jeden Fenstertyp sind andere Policys möglich!
Das ist ziemlich einmalig und nützlich.