On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 06:17:29PM -0800, Vincent W. Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before the current version in Debian unstable (2.6.5), when a user
> starts fvwm with no config file, the default from
> /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc would be used instead. The intention
> seems to be to offer users a more usable starting config with which to
> customize[1]. However, according to Thomas in bug #598948 [2], this
> differs from the upstream behavior, causes support problems upstream,
> and is currently undocumented.

It's ironic because by including it, and hence potentially forcing and
allowing it on users, we at FVWM are indirectly responsible in maintaining
and helping support that configuration.

In the general case that's probably OK; most users' problems tend to fall
outside of anything that might be contained in their config file, but it
certainly adds unnecessary complexity for the user.

I say ditch it (and hence resolve #598948) and do nothing more than to patch
FVWM in Debian to hook in to its menu system (this used to be the case in
the FVWM package; did you do this, and/or do you need help with this?)

If you really want to make an impact and an entertaining challenge, try and
get FVWM to ship with a default config upstream, thus alleviating the hard
work in maintaining such a file as a Debian-specific oddity.

[...]

> P.S. Should I also ask this on debian-user? Not sure where Debian FVWM
> users congregate...

I don't think that's necessary.