Hi,

Before the current version in Debian unstable (2.6.5), when a user
starts fvwm with no config file, the default from
/etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc would be used instead. The intention
seems to be to offer users a more usable starting config with which to
customize[1]. However, according to Thomas in bug #598948 [2], this
differs from the upstream behavior, causes support problems upstream,
and is currently undocumented.

Personally, I would like to remove this behavior, since I do not use
the default config myself and probably won't have time to maintain it.
I also think fvwm by nature is configurable and is meant to be
modified, so providing a default, Debian specific config doesn't make
much sense to me.

So I'd like to ask any Debian FVWM users whether you rely on this
behavior or find it useful: when starting fvwm with no user config,
the default from /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwm2rc is used instead. If
people want to keep this then I will reintroduce this in unstable,
with this behavior documented somewhere. If not, then I'll just close
the bug.

P.S. Should I also ask this on debian-user? Not sure where Debian FVWM
users congregate...

Regards,

Vincent Chen

[1]  From the changelog by the previous maintainer Manoj:

  * [58b579f]: [debiandir:fvwm]: Add a system.fvwm2rc file back
    After 5 years, Debian reintroduces the default system configuration
    file for fvwm, system.fvwm2rc, back to the distribution. But instead
    of the old, ugly, mostly low usability default configuratgion, this
    configuration file is derived from a flattened theme from fvwm-
    themes, and uses most of the modern conventions of new fvwm
    (colorsets, etc). The new system.fvwm2rc file also suports teh Debian
    menusystem, and can serve as a decent starting point for modification
    -- and should easily be converted into a fvwm theme again.

 -- Manoj Srivastava <sriva...@debian.org>  Thu, 09 Jul 2009 00:41:42 -0500