On Fri, 2 Feb 2024, Robert Heller wrote:

Afterall, no one needs more then one computer...

I suppose there is a smiley missing after the sentence :-)

My usual way of working (post-COVID, from home) involves usually one or two ssh sessions on two different remote work machines. Quite occasionally I also activate a VNC viewer with a remote session of a VNC server on one of the work machines, and run X stuff there. Occasionally I also run a point-to-point VPN work-home and NFS mount over it, I rsync stuff from work to home, work on it at home, and rsync back when finished. Very rarely I edit work files over remote X, and even more rarely over remote NFS, but that's because I think my connection is low for that.

At work I used regularly edit across machines over NFS, ssh and occasionally remote X (but all machines are on a LAN ... some on different VLANs and I have even expect gatewayed scripts to bypass that)

Independently of all that, I've never considered switching to wayland, and do not think any colleague does. Our recent standard installation at work is Xubuntu (it used to be OpenSuse), and I had it mimicked on both the home desktop (20.04) and home laptop (22.04) ... first thing I did was to imstall also fvwm, and then run my good old .fvwmrc with the Minimum Necessary Change.

I hope to be able to go on with Xorg until I live.