> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:17:29 +0200
> From: Dominik Vogt <fvwm@fvwm.org>

> > I > was building a Red Hat ready fvwm2.5.2 RPM
>
> > which we are probably going to use here at Manchester CS.
>
> Don't do that!  It's not even alpha quality.

I can't decide whether your are advising using 2.5.3, or 2.4.9 instead! :-)

2.5.2 does *seem* very stable. I have used it everyday since early July, and
it has not crashed. :-) All (certainly most) of the ~700 users will be using
the same configuration package as I have been using, i.e. AnotherLevelUp
(otherwise it would be a little dangerous, I agree). I have added a patch to
fix the task bar start button context problem I reported yesterday (thanks for
fixing in CVS, Mikhael). The most persuasive motive for using 2.5 rather than
2.4 is it's extra features that *might* help in the desperate war against the
Java/FVWM mismatch -- which has reached critical status now that all our
undergraduates write so much Java.... :-(

Meanwhile, I have switched to using 2.5.3 personally -- so far so good. I have
probably got about 3 weeks to try 2.5.3 and use that instead if there have
been no serious problems.

My current reasoning is this: 2.5.2 was alpha last month, and the problems
found in it since did not screw up AnotherLevelUp. Now, 2.5.3 is alpha, but it
has not been tested with AnotherLevelUp for a month! Maybe the problems in
2.5.3 will screw up AnotherLevelUp -- I'll let you know if they do, but while
I find out, 2.5.2 is actually a safer bet!!!!

Of course, I'll have RPMS for 2.4.[6-9] up my sleeve in case the worst should
happen.

> Bye
>
> Dominik ^_^  ^_^

Best wishes, John Latham