I usually edit docbook files by hand with TextMate.
I created a custom DocBook bundle with a couple of snippets and scripts.

However, if you have to write large documentation files, I suggest you to
give a look at
* http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/
* http://www.oxygenxml.com/

I've tried both and I chose to purchase an Oxygen license.

-- Simone